Supporting Children's Learning at Home
We would like to share with you some of the things we are focussing on this half-term in FS1. Please remember that you are welcome to look at the planning displayed on the window in the base also. We are continually planning for children’s next steps and in addition, take account of children’s interests through our planning of the activities below:
- On Thursday 1st March we will be taking part in World Book Day. Your child is welcome to come dressed up as a favourite book character. This year’s theme is ‘Share a story’, reinforcing the benefit that sharing a story for just ten minutes a day can have for your child.
- Phonics- We will be running Phase 1 and 2 phonics sessions this half- term.
- Wake and Shake- This half term, we will be beginning Wake and Shake. This will happen every Thursday and Friday at the beginning of each session. Children will develop an awareness of movement and develop their understanding of the importance of keeping fit and healthy whilst having lots of fun!
- Key texts- Linked to children’s next steps, we will be focussing on Handa’s Surprise and The Gruffalo.
- Intervention groups- Children will be taking part in intervention groups to support their learning and development in areas directed by their next steps. Groups taking place this half-term include: Writing, Mathematics, Reading, Communication and language and Personal Social and Emotional development.
- Spring- (Begins 20th March) including observations in the outdoor environment and looking for changes.
- Easter- To celebrate and learn about Easter, we will be sampling hot cross buns, talking about the Easter story, watching the festivals DVD and going on an Easter egg hunt in the garden.
- Sport relief- (Friday 23rd March) The theme this year is ‘Whatever moves you’ and we will be taking part in activities to raise money and awareness as well as activities to ‘get moving’ ourselves.
Please feel free to speak to a member of staff if you would like any further information.
There are many ways to support your child's learning at home. One of them is through attending a worksop at the Centre. These can cover many different aspects such as early reading and writing, Early Years Foundation Stage, problem solving and numeracy, outdoor play etc. However if you are unable to attend the workshops we will include the presentations here on our website.
|Booklet for parents Phase 2||[pdf 29KB]|
|Information about mark-making and Letters and Sounds||[pdf 13KB]|
|Letters and Sounds activites for use at home||[pdf 60KB]|